Folks, don't believe the Sony website - its cheap, but not THAT cheap... I think they swapped in the SGD without converting the price from USD to SGD.
Looking back at my digital receipts in 2009, I realise that I first bought this camera on ebay for around USD$45 (approximately S$57). I consider this reasonably affordable in any case and I would still consider the PS3 Eye as a cheap camera.
If buying the PS3 Eye from a physical store in Singapore, the current price at Sim Lim can vary quite greatly. Most of the shopowners on the 2nd and 3rd floor were shocked when I showed them the site on my phone and insisted that the retail price as listed on Sony Singapore's official website was $39.90, and they insisted that this camera had a cost price of around $50-55 (depending on who I spoke to). I was quoted as much as $60+. My final recommendation would be to go to "Gamers Hub" on the 5th floor, where they were very friendly and the PS3 Eye camera was going at a very reasonable $49. (Although, at present I have probably cleaned out their entire stock of this camera...)
- 4 channel audio input: 16 bits/channel, 48kHz, SNR 90db
- 56º (red dot for closeup) or 75º (blue dot for long-shot framing) Field of View zoom lens
- 2.1 F-stop, <1% distortion, fixed focus (25cm to infinity at 75º FOV)
- 640 x 480 at 60 frames/second
- 320 x 240 at 120 frames/second
- USB 2.0 high-speed data transfer
- Uncompressed video or optional JPEG compression