Friday 19 April 2013

Maps without Buildings (2011-2013)

Maps With/out Buildings is a hand-illustrated study of place, the map-making process and natural geogrpahical features as they are commonly represented in topographic maps. I have been working on an ongoing collection of "maps" of my dreams since around 2009. However, along the way I realized that all of my dreams had buildings in them, such that all the “dream maps” that I used to draw upon waking were technically more like dream building plans than maps of places. I wondered why it was that I didn't have dreams without buildings in them. So I became interested in exploring the process of making maps which did not have urban features in them. By studying the landscapes I encounter in my travels, and by trying to visualise landscapes devoid of buildings, one day I hope to have dreams without buildings in them.

P4171250

Maps without Buildings (2011-Present)

P4171252

Ellipsis (2013, London)

P4171253

Lichen Mountain (2011, Cornwall)

P4171254

Le Petit Arbre (2012, Paris)

P4171255

Gepenstermauer (2011, Berlin)

P4171256

Lake of Dreams (2011, London)

The texts are integral to the pieces. One of the accompanying texts was generated by running the contents of this long-running blog through a markov text generator, automatically producing a text which sounds like Debbie. More on that in another post!...

The work is being shown at "Theo.do.lites", an exhibition curated by Kent Chan and Silke Schmickl, at Institute of Contemporary Art Singapore (Lasalle ICAS Gallery 1). Featuring the works of Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Raqs Media Collective, Uriel Orlow, Alexander Schellow, Charles Lim, Romain Kronenberg & Benjamin Graindorge, Marylène Negro, Tan Pin Pin, Daniel Hui, Masayo Kajimura, Massimilian & Nina Breeder, and Debbie Ding. Show's on from now until 12 May.



See also:

Photos from Opening Night -

P4171276

P4171279

More Photo Documentation of Theo.do.lites, the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment